Hi, I’m Ariel Nieves founder of Thrive Coaching. If you’re exploring this blog, it’s mostly cause you’ve felt the following:
- Stuck? Not sure what else you can do to grow you the people in your church.
- Disappointed? Feeling like maybe you made a mistake in accepting the call to Lead or be a Pastor.
- Lonely? You didn’t think people would see or treat you differently once you got ordained. But now you know what God was saying when he said he would separate you.
- Unsure? You’ve got major decisions and don’t know what the right decision is.
- Overwhelmed? You’re the preacher, accountant, mechanical engineer, head usher and that’s just ministry. Doesn’t include being a spouse, or parent.
I want you to know that I’ve created Thrive Coaching with you in mind.
So Why Thrive?
February, 2014 I was in a prayer meeting at Christ Tabernacle and our Senior Pastor began to pray for some local pastors he knew who were having some challenges. Some of the challenges were marital, some of them were financial, some were with other leaders, some emotional and physical. As he prayed, my heart hurt for these pastors and I recalled a conversation with my wife where she said “The church of Christ should be thriving, but most of the time it looks like we are just surviving”.
So the term Thrive took form. From that point forward my goal became to support pastors who are either under resource, under staffed or under 500 members in the following ways:
1. Emotional Support – I want to find ways to create community for pastors that offer the following:
- Peer Community: Leadership is lonely, the antidote to loneliness is community with others who are our peers in the ministry.
- Transparency: We need environments where we can be transparent and accepted. It’s very hard living up to the ideals that many of us.
- Be Able to Receive: Most people want some from us, a word of encouragement, counsel, and it’s rare the person who wants something for us.
- Intercessory Prayer: We need people who are willing to pray for us. With the pressure of being a shepherd and a bombardment of attacks on us and our families – what we need most is prayer that will cover us.
2. Systems Support – There is so much to be done when leading a church or a ministry, so I’d like to provide the following:
- Blog Posts that provide creative solutions to some of our main problems.
- Webinars that help train the Pastor and his key leaders.
- Online Courses that will help churches develop leaders to share the load, courses such as who to Increase your first Time Visitor.
- Time Management:
My real passion, joy, reward is helping leaders walk in their full leadership potential. I believe everyone has a unique calling and unique giftings and the joy of life is discovering and developing those giftings.
My Personal Story:
I’m familiar with the struggles of leading something.
I was conceived out of wedlock. Raised by mom and grandmother. I’d see my dad about 3 to 4 times out of the year. When I was 14 I realized I was conceived out of an affair. So all of these issues lead to some deep rooted insecurities.
At the age of 16 I made a commitment to Christ and have been at Christ Tabernacle since then. By the age of 18 I held a leadership role in an incredibly dynamic youth ministry lead by Adam Durso. In about 5 years we had gone from 18 young people to over 500 on a friday night. I got to witness the power of fasting and prayer – I saw families changed.
At 21 I received a bachelors in Computer Science at NYU. I think the logical mind that is required to excel in Computer Science has also been what helps me create systems and look at church issues from a pragmatic and unique perspective. I love finding creative solutions – that are economical and also create wow factors. Sorry – that was a short tangent – back to my story.
At the age of 24 I started dating the love of my life, who in a year became my wife. Now I understand why the the book of proverbs refers to wisdom as a she. During that time I came on to full-time staff at Christ Tabernacle. I started as the Youth Ministry admin, eventually became the direction of production and marketing for Christ Tabernacle. In 2010, I became the director of discipleship and in 2012 was ordained the Pastor of Discipleship. This was a great honor for me. I am currently the Pastor of Discipleship, Father of the most amazing 1 year old and expecting another shortly.
My prayer is to see the potential God placed in you while in your mothers women come to fruition. And it would be an honor to help participate in that process.